Friday, October 14, 2011

#OWS Hooverville, the (1st) Depression, and Woodie Guthrie

Summary:  I propose that Occupy Wall Street (AKA:Hooverville) is NOT an anomaly, but is a continuation of the PROOF we are NOW in the SECOND DEPRESSION.

A) "This Land is My Land"
The ORIGINAL Lyrics to the Great song, "This land is My Land",
According (to of course... Wikipedia),

It was written by Woody Guthrie in 1940 based (...) in response to Irving Berlin's "God Bless America", which Guthrie considered unrealistic and complacent.
But the version you and I likely learned as kids was NOT complete, but was CENSORED.


Try these three verses on for size!


As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.
Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking that freedom highway;
Nobody living can ever make me turn back
This land was made for you and me.
In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?

(For those too young to know, the  "relief office" would today be called the welfare or unemployment office.)

Complete Lyrics to the great tune are HERE


B) Hoover
See a Previous Article I wrote in August 2011 (almost TWO months ago?!), discussing HERBERT Hoover's failures as a president, and especially his CUTTING THE BUDGET to try and fix the economy.
FAILED. (original article written 8/30 here)

C) Hooverville
We're about to face VIOLENCE.  It's great that the people cleaned the park, so that the EXCUSE of  cleaning the park could not be used to EMPTY the park.

We ARE going to take back this country.  It might lead to a second civil war of "The Haves vs. The People", and the idea of that sucks a great deal.


D) The Enemy
THE NUMBER one ENEMY is NOT Wall Street, but "K" Street, the CORPORATE lobbyists.
Corporate campaign laws (as dictated by the Supremes)   now allows ENDLESS cash into political campaigns.   I say we need total transparancy, NO more BUNDLING of contributions, and ONLY $250 per candidate VIA an ONLINE site to help remove the political sway of these parasites.